Thursday, December 26, 2013

How to Be a Hepburn in a Hilton World by Jordan Christy

       This book has been on my “to-read” list since my freshman year of high school and I’ve owned it since the Christmas of that year...no lie! So, I finally got around to it nearly six whole years later (!!!) and despite the slightly out of date pop culture references, which I must say were perfectly appropriate for my generation, I think my timing was perfect.
Christy’s manual for mastering the “art of living with style, class, and grace” provided a insightful, often hilarious commentary on a culture very relative to my collegiate life. From “stupid girls” to “having your cake and eating it too,” she manages to sufficiently cover speaking eloquently, choosing friends wisely, dressing to impress, accepting your body, and the value of a work ethic in under two hundred pages. 
Something I really loved about this book was that the author managed to make very strong, valid points without being preachy. Let’s face it, who wants to read a book that tears you apart simply for being a member of Generation Y? She acknowledges that we all make mistakes that are less than classy or admirable at times, but provides realistic suggestions for changing our ways and even inserts fun little recipes and quizzes throughout the book. 
While my high school freshman self might have emulated the senior girl who reviewed this book in the school newspaper (yep, it happened...I remember it clearly), I’m glad that I read it during a time at which it was more applicable and relatable to my life. Living like Audrey Hepburn is quite the aspiration, but I think I’m up to the challenge! 

“Class is not defined by our circumstances - it is our reaction to those circumstances that defines who we are.” 
Jordan Christy, How to Be a Hepburn in a Hilton World: The Art of Living with Style, Class, and Grace

No comments:

Post a Comment